Sunday, June 24, 2007
Saturday, June 09, 2007
The Ontario’s Ombudsman is taking on the Special Investigation Unit (SIU), the Civilian Agency that Probes serious injuries and deaths involving Police, over concern that it maybe biased towards the Police.
Ombudsman Andre Marin, himself, SIU director in the l990 said that there has been a troubling increase of complaints from the Public that the SIU is alleged to not doing its job properly.
The Ombudsman told a news conference that his investigation is based on complaints from 8 families who have suggested that the SIU probes of Police Conducts lack objectivity and were less thorough.
Twenty complaints were given preliminary investigation and 8 of them will be put under the "microscope".
A few among them was the case of Jeffrey Reodica, a Pilipino Youth shot and killed by a Metro Officer in which the SIU investigations declared that the Officer was justified in his Actions.
But the Coroner’s Inquest that followed, found so many defects and inconsistencies to the investigations and processes.
Note: The Reodica Family had filed a $5.4 millions civil lawsuits against the police services, the officer and the chief.
And here’s another case: Toronto Lawyer Julian Falconer who said he represented two of the cases cite one of his cases.
Hafeez Mohamed had been stopped in Pickering for drunk driving by Durham Regional Police, with four times the legal limit of alcohol in his blood last May and spent over a month in intensive care, yet the SIU found the use of force was "appropriate and reasonable," Falconer told a news conference.
"There’s a potential reality that a pro-police culture has taken over the SIU."
Mohamed said he was too drunk to remember if he resisted the police or not.
The Ombudsman said his reports will be ready by the end of October.
If the Politicians, the Liberal Government of Premier McGuinty, in particular Attorney General Michael Bryant, had followed up on the many complaints voiced against the SIU, there would be no Ombudsman's probe necessary.
Obviously the Government has been sitting on the complaints, so Ombudsman Marin has to step in.
Jun 08, 2007 04:30 AM
Organizers of a Toronto gala and opera celebrating the accomplishments of Winnie Madikizela-Mandela say they are "devastated" by Canada's refusal to allow their political hero into the country. And Madikizela-Mandela, the 70-year-old ex-wife of former South African president Nelson Mandela, is understandably upset too.
Their distress, though, should be tempered by the fact that Canadian officials are right to refuse to allow a visit by this controversial figure.
Madikizela-Mandela's many admirers celebrate her work as an anti-apartheid activist and a bold campaigner in the fight against AIDS in South Africa. Indeed, she has been effective on both those fronts.
But there is another side to Madikizela-Mandela that must not be ignored, or indirectly condoned, by letting her into Canada to be celebrated. In 1991, she was convicted of having a role in the kidnapping and subsequent murder of Stompie Moeketsi, a 14-year-old boy accused of being a police informer. Her six-year jail sentence was reduced to a fine on appeal. Then in 2003 she was convicted of 68 counts of theft and fraud, for which she received a suspended sentence.
These were not trumped-up charges, or accusations that had no legal merit. And the resulting convictions surely justify barring Madikizela-Mandela from the country under a Canadian rule refusing admission to anyone convicted of serious crimes.
Madikizela-Mandela's supporters have a right to focus only on the bright side and mark her achievements with glowing speeches and a new play, titled The Passion of Winnie, which opens tonight. But Canada's government is obliged to look at the entire record. And that record is troubling to such a degree that it justifies keeping her out.
Monday, June 04, 2007
A few days ago, I made a comment in one of my regulars favourite blog sites in the Philippines ‘inside the mind of snglguy regarding the cops and robbers and the cars chases’ and here is the particular entry.
This is about the protocol of Police chases and when not to do it to avoid injuries or fatalities to the innocents public.
Today, a family is deciding if to take their 17-year-old daughter out of life support after a suffering some serious injuries early Saturday morning where her friend and fellow passenger in a taxi, 16 years old, died on the scene, including a l5 year old boy, driving a stolen car, hitting a light pole and after hitting the two other vehicles (taxis), where the other two teenagers where on board in one of them. The taxi drivers, escaped with minor injuries.
Initial reports, said that the police received a gun call, and saw a car speeding by them and decided to follow the car. And the chase ensued. It is not known yet if the boy was involved in the gun call.
The Province’s Special Investigation Unit (SIU) is taking over investigation. SIU is a civilian agency that investigates incident involving police and civilians resulting in injuries and fatalities.
There is an outstanding Protocol regarding Police chase that serves as guidelines to all police forces in the Province. But that still leaves on the judgement of officers concern to initiate the chase or not.
Now the Provincial Premier is voicing concern that the current Protocol may require further reviews while the families of the victims demand from the city mayor to call for the Inquiry into the incidents.
Three young lives, two are now gone, one innocent, one a suspect, and one lying brain dead and the family yet to make another painful decision. And in the quite of an early morning hours, such tragedy is an unimaginable, to the families of the victims and to the Police Officers who may in their best intention would realized that such would end up in lose of two young lives and the prospect of losing another. And the Public to face another Long and Trying time if an Inquiry is called to review the protocol and guidelines for Police Chases...
For links to the stories clik Canada’s biggest daily:
Update: The Family had announced that the decision to take their daughter off life support had been made. "she is no longer with us"....
Friday, June 01, 2007
Ipperwash Provincial Park is a 56 hectare with long sandy beach on the shores of Lake Huron in Hampton County, Ontario. It was established in l936 alongside a military base.
The Stoney Point First Nation Claimed it contains a Sacred Burial Ground and lay Claim on it. During an Occupation by a group of First Nations People in September l995 a violent incident erupted, and Dudley George, one of the Protesters was shot dead by Ontario Provincial Police Officer Ken Dean. Officer Dean, who was acting Sgt. that night was found guilty of Criminal Negligence causing death in l997. Dean died in a Car Accident in 2006 on the way to testify in the Inquiry...
An Inquiry into the Crisis, better known as The Ipperwash Crisis was called in 2003 to examine the events leading to the incident. And twelve years after the death of Dudley George, Justice Sidney Linden, Head of the Ipperwash Inquiry has prepared a voluminous 1500 pages report of his findings and suggestions as to the Measures to be taken by both the Federal Government and its Provincial Counterpart to avoid the same from happening and to improve the overall relationships with our First Nations People.
The Saga of Dudley George:
It was September 6, l995 when Dudley George, a member of the First Nation People, occupying the Ipperwash Provincial Park was shot dead by Ontario Provincial Police Officer Ken Dean and started the event which led to the establishment of the Ipperwash Inquiry in 2003 to examine the events surrounding the Political Interventions and the Police Action that could have caused a great deal of "DEEP SCHISM" in relationship between the Governments and the Native People.
In a voluminous 1500 pages report by Justice Sidney Linden who headed the long and arduous Inquiry, where Politicians from former Premier Mike Harris of Ontario, Cabinet Ministers and Police Officers testified, and the Native people and all relevant parties, the Honourable Justice has these to say:
"Ipperwash revealed a deep schism in Canada's relationship with aboriginal people and was symbolic of a sad history of government policies that harmed their long-term interests"
Linden pointed to the ongoing occupation of a housing development at Caledonia as an example of tensions involving native land claims.
"The aboriginal occupation at Caledonia proves that Ipperwash was not an isolated event," Linden said. Six Nations people began protests in Caledonia over land claims in February 2006, and the issue remains unresolved.
"Ipperwash is important because public officials and institutions need to be held accountable for their actions."
Premier Dalton McGuinty quickly apologized on behalf of the provincial government. But he said he will take some time to assess Linden's recommendations, which include an independent agency to deal with land claims and a new ministry for aboriginal people
"In my view, the most urgent priority is for the federal government to return the former army camp to the Kettle and Stony Point First Nation immediately with an apology and appropriate compensation," Justice Linden Suggested.
QUESTION: It was alleged that before the Provincial Police Force were sent to the park to disperse the Protesters, there was a Meeting where the Provincial Premier at that time Mike Harris made a Racist comment which was quoted in the Inquiry and in the Criminal Trial. From the Premier "I want the f---ing Indians out of the park."
Also from the Minister of Natural Resources ," GET the f---ing Indians out of my park."
Justice Linden said that after assessing all the evidence he believes that both the Premier and the Minister made those RACIST REMARKS, and he also accused the Premier for misleading the Legislature for consistently denying that he told the high level meeting with the government officials and the police those orders.
Note: Mike Harris had stepped down as leader of the Provincial Conservative Party and was replaced by Ernie Eves, who was subsequently defeated by the Liberal Party of the Now Current Premier Dalton McGuinty.
To know more about the Ipperwash Crisis and the Inquiry Reports and Recommendations check this links, and click to related stories on the sidebars:
to know more about the only Native killed in Aboriginal Protest in the 20 th century, Dudley George:
Appreciation: Justice Sidney Linden and the First Nations People.